Program Coordinator, AmeriCorps VISTA Member
Full-time, Temporary, 1-year Contract through AmeriCorps VISTA Program
There is a significant and cyclical literacy crisis in America today, and it begins with our children. Twenty-five million children in the U.S. cannot read proficiently and the disruption in education due to the pandemic has worsened the problem as millions of children missed out on academic learning in the classroom; younger and lower-income students have experienced the most significant loss.
As the nation’s largest children’s literacy non-profit, Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) is facing America’s literacy crisis head-on. RIF is sponsoring five AmeriCorps VISTA Program Coordinators with a passion for children’s literacy to join us in the effort to support children in finding the JOY in reading by making books and engaging resources accessible to all and set America’s children on a path of growth and opportunity.
The five AmeriCorps VISTA Program Coordinators will support educational outcomes for students in Pre-K through 8th grade –including those attending schools with low educational achievement levels as well as those in communities with higher-than-average poverty levels—by bolstering support for literacy programs and increasing the capacity of local partners. The VISTA members will identify and implement strategies aimed at strengthening the capacity of communities to engage in literacy activities. The VISTA members will enhance RIF’s partnerships and local capacity building in 5 cities: Chicago; Baltimore; Washington, DC; Cleveland; and New Orleans. Each member will be assigned to one of the designated cities.
- Identify current children’s/family literacy efforts in the designated community and assess gaps in community literacy providers and services to develop new outreach strategies and increase services in underserved communities.
- Research and recruit local site-based partners such as schools, childcare facilities, and other youth-serving non-profits, within the designated community, and acting as main the point of contact at RIF.
- Facilitate conversations with community members to identify common needs, evaluate the current capacity of local partners, and build/bolster relationships to further RIF’s work.
- Develop and support a professional learning community (PLC) to better reach and engage educators, literacy service providers, community members, civic leaders, and other supporters.
- Create literacy-related content, including educator and parent engagement resources, to drive student reading engagement, motivation, frequency, and joy.
- Collect and evaluate feedback to enhance resources and support provided by RIF.
- Ensure RIF’s community members, within the specified city, receive the support needed to effectively carry out their programs at the local level.
- Lead internal briefings on the status of the project to keep all stakeholders informed.
- Inform the team of potential gaps in resource needs and identify opportunities to better support the specific community with RIF programs.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
This is an impactful opportunity for an individual dedicated to serving the communities in which we are present. This position is most suitable for recent college graduates and/or graduate students who have a background in education, communications or related fields; however, applicants with comparable experience will also be considered and are encouraged to apply.
- Associates Degree or higher
- Ability to complete AmeriCorps Terms and Conditions
- Experience in relationship building, capacity building, and/or education preferred;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office tools and basic database software;
- Must be detail oriented and a quick learner;
- Strong planning and organizational skills required;
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, including both verbal and written skills and the ability to produce quality written materials;
- Must be able to function autonomously and as part of a team within a fast-paced and fluid environment while handling multiple projects and deadlines
The VISTA members will work in RIF’s Washington, DC office; the schedule is hybrid (4 days per week in the office; remote work on Fridays).
The office is located at 750 First St., NE, Suite 920, Washington, DC 20002.
To protect the health and well-being of its colleagues and maintain the safety of the communities where we operate, the organization follows CDC, federal and local guidance to help minimize the spread of COVID-19. The organization requires all employees be vaccinated, and all newly hired employees must be fully vaccinated before their start date. Proof of vaccination is required and will be kept confidential.
AmeriCorps VISTA offers the following benefits to members. All benefits are subject to AmeriCorps VISTA program conditions:
- Relocation allowance
- Choice of education award or end of service stipend
- Childcare assistance (if eligible)
- Living allowance
- Health coverage. See http://www.vistacampus.gov/healthcare for details.
Reading Is Fundamental will also cooperate with any academic or training programs relevant to award of academic credit for the experience. VISTA members will have the opportunity to travel to their designated city at least once during their term. Members will have the opportunity to participate in general professional development, as well as training in the areas of education and children’s literacy provided by Reading Is Fundamental.
All applications must be submitted through the following AmeriCorps posting.